We Are Learning 3D Printing Through Our Personal Experience…
You’re an expert designer and your 3D printer is perfectly configured, but your filament isn’t getting the love and attention it deserves, so the time has come to get that mess under control. That’s why MakerBot is asking you to design a brilliant new filament spool holder – create and upload your design by September 6th at midnight for a chance to win a 10 pack of MakerBot filament.
How to enter the competition:
– Design something! You can participate in this Challenge whether you’re a 3D-modeling expert or an absolute beginner. In fact, we especially encourage entries from people that are beginners!
– Post your design to Thingiverse. You can modify your design anytime up until the September 7th deadline.
– Include the challenge tag. To be considered for this Challenge, your Thing must include the tag #FilamentChallenge.
– Design iteratively. Use all of the time available to you. Don’t be afraid to upload new and different versions of your work.
– Tell the story of your design. Take time to write a good Description and Instructions for your model on Thingiverse. How did you design your model? What did you have to redesign along the way? What does your model do, and why is it cool? What settings do you recommend for 3D printing your model?
– Make it 3D-printable. While owning a 3D printer is not a requirement for entry, printing and documenting printability will go a long way toward winning.
– Take good photos to show off your work. Photograph your design from every angle and upload all of your best, most informative pics.
– Consider a video. Sometimes a video speaks louder than a photo, especially if your design moves or interacts with things. You can upload a video clip to the Thing page for your model by posting the model to YouTube and then including the link to that video in the Description. The video will then automatically be included in the Gallery for your Thing.
1st prize for the best overall design will receive a 10 pack of MakerBot Filament in PLA or ABS. Four additional designs will receive one year of MakerClub for each of the following: Best Multi-Spool Holder, Best Spool Holder Customizer, Best Novelty Spool Holder, and Best Simple Spool Holder. MakerClub members receive a 10% discount on MakerBot Filament and free shipping for one year.
Ghostly International is a record label, design house, and technology innovator that provides works of high quality, integrity, and individuality. Ghostly and MakerBot have joined to present to you the MakerBot Ghostly Vinyl Challenge – using vinyl records and turntables as a starting point, you need to use your design skills to create novel objects that will delight record collectors, music lovers, and audiophiles alike. More specifically things to decorate, augment, or personalize your records and stereo systems.
To take part in the challenge you need to just upload your designs to Thingiverse with the tag #GhostlyVinyl before November 30th at 11:59PM EST. Entries must be tagged #GhostlyVinyl to be considered. A panel of MakerBot and Ghostly employees will judge entries on creativity and printability and winners will be announced on December 15th. The first-prize winner will receive Ghostly’s 2014 full length vinyl catalog and a MakerBot Replicator Mini Compact 3D Printer. Three winners will receive spools of MakerBot Filament (Three spools for first place, two for second, and one for third) and have their design featured on Thingiverse.